Fur coats have been worn by humans for thousands of years, dating back to ancient times when they were used for warmth and protection from the elements. While fur was initially used by both men and women, it eventually became more associated with women's fashion. However, in recent years, fur coats have made a comeback in men's fashion, with many designers and brands offering luxurious and stylish options.
In this article, we will explore men's fur coats in detail, including the history of fur coats for men, different types of fur used in men's coats, and the various styles and designs available.
History of Men's Fur Coats
The use of fur by humans can be traced back to prehistoric times, when our ancestors would use animal pelts to keep warm. As civilization progressed, fur became a symbol of status and wealth, with royalty and nobility sporting fur garments as a sign of their power and influence.
In the Middle Ages, fur coats became more widely available to the upper class and merchants. However, it wasn't until the 20th century that fur coats became more accessible to the general public. In the 1920s, fur coats became a symbol of luxury and glamour, with Hollywood stars and socialites sporting fur garments.
While fur coats were initially associated with women's fashion, men's fur coats were also popular during this time. In fact, many Hollywood leading men, such as Clark Gable and Humphrey Bogart, were known to wear fur coats both on and off the screen.
During the 1960s and 1970s, fur coats fell out of fashion, with many people becoming more concerned with animal rights and environmental issues. However, in recent years, fur has made a comeback in the fashion world, with many designers and brands offering high-end fur garments.
Types of Fur Used in Men's Coats
There are many different types of fur that can be used in men's coats, each with its own unique characteristics and benefits. Here are some of the most common types of fur used in men's coats:
- Fox Fur - Fox fur is known for its softness and durability. It is often used in men's coats for its warmth and insulation.
- Mink Fur - Mink fur is one of the most popular types of fur used in men's coats. It is known for its luxurious softness and warmth.
- Rabbit Fur - Rabbit fur is a more affordable option for men's fur coats. It is soft and lightweight, making it ideal for fall and winter wear.
- Chinchilla Fur - Chinchilla fur is one of the most expensive types of fur used in men's coats. It is known for its softness and durability.
- Coyote Fur - Coyote fur is often used in men's coats for its warmth and insulating properties. It is a popular choice for winter wear.
- Beaver Fur - Beaver fur is another popular choice for men's fur coats. It is known for its softness and durability, and is often used in outerwear.
Styles and Designs of Men's Fur Coats
Men's fur coats come in a variety of styles and designs, each with its own unique features and benefits. Here are some of the most popular styles and designs of men's fur coats:
- Parka - A parka is a long, hooded coat that is often used for winter wear. Men's fur parkas typically feature a fur-trimmed hood and lining for added warmth and insulation.
- Bomber Jacket - A bomber jacket is a short, waist-length jacket that is typically made of leather or nylon. Men's fur bomber jackets often feature a fur collar or lining for added warmth and style.
- Overcoat - An overcoat is a long coat usually past the knees.